- Pro.Merera began his college education at Addis Ababa University (AAU), but was imprisoned for seven years due to participating in protests against the dictatorship of Mengistu Haile Mariam.
- After his release, Merera went to Egypt to complete his education at the American University in Cairo.
- Merera received his doctorate July 2002 from the Institute of Social Studies, at the Hague in the Netherlands.
- He completed his thesis, "Ethiopia: competing ethnic nationalisms and the quest for democracy, 1960-2000".
- As of 2009,Merera is an associate professor of political science at AAU. He participates in several scholarly conferences worldwide, including in the United States, concerning political and social developments of Ethiopia.
- Yesterday Dec.26,2014,very sad news heard from Addis Ababa University.According toESAT(Ethiopian Satellite Television),at the result of the direct political intervention of the ruling party on Addis Ababa University's academic right, Dr.Merara is obliged to leave his job where he served for more than a quarter century ( twenty-five years).
How free and fair election on May, 2015, could run in Ethiopia? where as a prominent politician is pushing to leave his job that served for more than a quarter century just because of his out look, Prof.Merara Gudina.
TAHISAS 19/2007 EC (December 28/2014)